Monday, September 12, 2016

A Visit with Jeanette Levellie





Jeanette Levellie is here sharing about her new book, Touchable God, FInding the Lord's Friendship Through Prayer. This talented author and speaker has written several books, including The Heart of Humor and Shock the Clock: Time Management for Writers and Other Creatives

Jen is warm and funny and has a true heart for encouraging others. I think that she's one of the most genuine people I know. But don't let me sway you, of course. Decide for yourself through her post here. :) She's giving away a copy of Touchable God, so check out the details below.


With Love From Jeanette:

Have you heard the saying, “That sermon really stepped on my toes”? When I wrote my book, Touchable God: Finding the Lord’s Friendship Through Prayer, my own words constantly stepped on my toes. Like the prayer below about plans falling through. How many times have I doubted, cried in anguish, and sighed in despair when my plans fell through, only to find—sometimes much later—that God had a better plan? Aha. 

I hope this prayer helps you believe in the everlasting, bottomless love of your heavenly father for you. Even if it steps on your toes a wee bit. 

When Your Plans Fall Through 

Lord, my friend’s plans were like a towering tree that branched to the heavens, its leaves bright with promise of shade for everyone she knew and some she didn’t know, a glory for You and a joy for her. She believed the roots were formed in the soil of Your heart, of Your vision for her.

She watered her plans with worship to You for all the loveliness this tree would hold. She danced round the trunk as it grew and formed its stately shape. All who loved her rejoiced that it grew stronger and lovelier each year. As its fruit ripened and plumped, many partook of its sweet nourishment.

And now, its branches stare up at her, barren and twisted; its trunk a hollow shell where once a heart had beaten. Her vision is dead, her plans rotted and failed.

Lord, Your thoughts are only good for all Your children. Did my sister miss Your voice? Did she plant her own dreams, mistaking them for Yours? Afraid to blame herself, she’s tempted to blame You. Confusion hounds her soul like branches pounding on windows in an angry storm.

Will You please take her shattered aspirations, the splintered wood from fallen trees, and replace them with truer, straighter saplings from Your heart, dear Grower of perfect plans. Rain the gift of living water upon this new dream, born not of her design, but of Your holy purpose.

Or, if it’s Your will, resurrect her ruined plans, speaking life to the dead, proving You are mightier than death itself. You are life.

Whichever You choose, her times are in Your hand. Show Yourself strong on her behalf so she can dare to dream again, plan Your plans with You, and grow the tree of Your design. Give her hope for her future, a hope that’s rooted and grounded in Your love.

In Jesus’ name, so be it. 

References to Scripture: Jeremiah 29:11; Psalm 31:15; John 11:25; Psalm 89:8 

The above prayer is an excerpt from Jeanette Levellie’s newest book Touchable God: Finding the Lord’s Friendship Through Prayer. 



About Touchable God

“Every Christian longs for an intimate walk with the Lord, talking openly with their Heavenly Father and hearing from Him. Touchable God addresses this longing, helping you find a joy-filled relationship with the Lord instead of a joyless religion. In Section I Jeanette shares stories from her own journey in prayer. Written in her warm and casual style, these candid glimpses into Jeanette's tests and trials will help you believe the Lord's willingness to be involved in every area of your life. Section II consists of Jeanette's bold, often poetic prayers for friends in crisis. You need answers, and the Scripturally-based prayers will help you approach God's throne to find them. Touchable God gives caring friends, family members, and ministry leaders specific prayers for others' needs and guides you in praying for yourself during crises.”  





Jen's Bio

A spunky pastor's wife of forty plus years, Jeanette Levellie has published four books and hundreds of articles, greeting card verses, stories and calendar poems. She authors a weekly humor/inspirational column in her local newspaper, and enjoys speaking to church and civic groups, offering hope and humor in every message. She is the mother of two, grandmother of three, and waitress to several cats. Visit her blog, Hope Splashes.

 
My Review

Through true stories and uplifting prayers, Jeanette Levellie encourages readers, offering hope while illustrating God’s approachable, loving nature. These stories are relatable - I was engaged immediately. The prayers brought others’ needs (as well as my own) to mind, and were the catalyst I needed to begin to pray. This book will be a wonderful resource now and in the future, as it offers a lifeline of comfort and light.


Giveaway Info 

Jeanette is giving away a signed copy of Touchable God to one of my followers in the United States. Kindly note the following:

1) Please comment below, and leave your email address so I can contact you.  
2) I'd appreciate you following Write Now by Google Friend Connect or Facebook (see sidebar).
3) Giveaway ends Thursday, September 15, 2016 at midnight Eastern Time. Winner will be notified by email and have 48 hours to respond or another name will be chosen.   

How do you handle it when your plans fall through? What are you reading this week?

Happy reading and writing,
Karen


19 comments :

  1. Congrats to Jeannette on her new book. Praying can be so important for many of us and so true we may not know what is the right outcome. I'll let someone else win the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Natalie. Prayer is my lifeline to God, who cares about my life more than I do!
      Jen

      Delete
  2. Thanks for having me today, Karen. You are such a caring, helping friend. I appreciate you!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie,
    I agree! I appreciate you coming by to see us. :) Glad you got to meet Jen.

    Jen,
    It's always a pleasure to have you visit. Congrats again on the latest book! :)

    Happy reading and writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we've all done that, many times. Pursued something that was our goal not God's, and then it withered and died and we wondered why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex: It's a humble and wise person who will admit to that. Bravo for you! Thanks for commenting today,
      Jen

      Delete
  5. Her prayer touched my heart as I read it--as though it was written for me! Thanks Jeanette! I loved her other book and know I will love this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I loved your first book as well, and can't wait for another from you. You are a tremendous author.
      Jen

      Delete
  6. Alex,
    Sometimes it just takes us awhile to get the message, doesn't it? :) Thanks for stopping over!

    Terri,
    Jen's words always seem to hit the mark for me too! She's a treasure, isn't she? :)

    Happy reading and writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely book!

    That prayer is so true. And could be something I'm praying for myself at the moment. Right now, I'm kind of in a place where it felt like all the trees I've planted have died.

    And now God has given me one tiny TINY little seed and told me "Trust ME."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truth is in that prayer. It is not always easy to discern whether or not we're pursuing something not meant for us or if the struggle to achieve is part of our learning process. I saw something recently that said (I'm paraphrasing) we need not be concerned that we will choose the wrong path and ruin all of God's plans for us, because what God has planned, we have not the power to destroy. We might take the long way around, but we'll still end up where we're meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen! I have been a follower of Jeanette's before, and have several of her books. She is a very generous and supportive blog friend, and I wish her nothing but the best with her book.
    My email address is: ceil@ceilryan.com
    I'd love to have another of her books!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely prayer! This book for sure sounds like it will bring a lot of "Hope Splashes". So happy Jeanette continues to write, and shining her light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have met Jeanette. I love her writing style. I love her prayers in this, her latest book. I have a copy already. You both are dear to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Misha,
    It is a lovely book. Hang in there, I am sure there are good things ahead. :) So good to see you!

    Lisa,
    It's interesting, when we look back, to see how things worked out, isn't it? So glad that you came by to see us! :)

    Ceil,
    Aren't her books great? She's such an inspiration, that's for sure. Appreciate you stopping by! :) And by the way, you are the winner of the book! Congratulations!

    Lynn,
    It really is a good book. Jen shares such inspiration and encouragement. Thanks for coming by to see us! :)

    Cecelia,
    I didn't realize you two had met! How nice! Jen is quite the treasure, isn't she? You are so sweet, and such a dear friend to me as well. :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Jeanette. The excerpts are beautiful. I can relate. Thanks for sharing your book. Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the kind words, dear friends. These make my day!
    Blessings on you for hosting me here, Karen!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joylene,
    Thanks for stopping by to see us! Jen is an inspiration, isn't she? :)

    Jen,
    It's always a pleasure to have you visit! We'll have to do it again. :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I find that things fall through, followed by a better plan. Congrats to Jeanette.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!